Belief in Allah’s Books: The Third Article of Faith
Belief in Allah’s Books is the third article of faith. It refers to the revelations Allah sent down to His Messengers. These revelations were a mercy and guidance from Allah. Their main objective was to bring mankind from the darkness of ignorance and disbelief to the light of faith as well as success in this life and eternal happiness in the hereafter. The Quran, which is Allah’s Speech, is the final revelation.
Divine revelations Mentioned In the Quran and the Sunnah
- The Tawraah (Torah) revealed to Prophet Moosaa
- The Zaboor revealed to Prophet Daawood
- The Injeel (Gospel) revealed to Prophet ‘Eesaa
- There is also reference in the Quran to the suhuf – the Scrolls revealed to Ibraaheem and Moosaa.
- The Glorious Quran, the Final Book revealed to Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)
Belief in Allah’s Books includes four Things
Belief in Allah’s Books includes the following:
- Belief that these Books were truly revealed by Almighty Allah to His messengers.
- Belief in the divine books mentioned in the Quran or the Sunnah.
- Acting in accordance with the teachings of the Quran, which is the final revelation. One must submit to it completely, even if he does not altogether grasp the wisdom behind the command or statement.
- Belief that all the divine books had been abrogated by the Quran, as Allah says, “And We have revealed to you, [O Muhammad], the Book in truth, confirming that which preceded it of the Scripture and as a criterion over it. So judge between them by what Allah has revealed and do not follow their inclinations away from what has come to you of the truth.” (Quran, 5:48) Therefore, it is not permissible to apply any of the laws from the previous books unless the Quran confirms that law; and if there is anything about which there is doubt, we must not turn to these books, but to the Quran, as Almighty Allah says, “And if you disagree over anything, refer it to Allah and the Messenger” (Quran , 4:59)
A Word about the Previous Revelations
The Books that the Jews and the Christians possess today, which they call the Torah, Gospel and the Psalms, may contain some of the original revelations. It should be noted here, however, that they have been distorted and that countless changes, additions and deletions have been made into them over the centuries. Hence, to believe in the Tawraah of Moosaa, for example, does not mean that a Muslim believes in the first five books of the present-day Old Testament. The two are different Books altogether. The Old Testament, however, may contain some of what was originally revealed in the Tawraah.
All of the previous revelations have been abrogated by the final revelation – the Glorious Quran. There is no need for any Muslim to turn to the remnants of any of the previous revelations for guidance. Everything that he needs for his guidance is contained in the Quran. It is not permissible to act in accordance with any ruling mentioned in the previous revelations unless it is approved by the Quran.
One of the greatest blessings of Allah is that He sent revelations for the guidance of mankind. In fact, He sent specific and different revelations according to the needs and conditions of different peoples over time. This mercy of Allah continued until the Quran was revealed. Indeed, the Quran contains all the guidance that people need from the time of the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) until the Last Day. Because the Quran provides guidance for all places and times until the Day of Resurrection, Allah has undertaken to protect it from any tampering or distortions.
The Glorious Quran is Protected by Allah Himself
The Quran is the uncreated Word of Allah. It is the Final Message of Allah to all mankind. Its present form is the same as it was at the time of the Prophet (pbuh). The Quran has come down to us complete. No changes have ever been made in it. Nothing of it is missing. No additions have ever been made to it. No part, not even a tiny syllable of it is forgotten or has gone unrecorded. The Quran is protected by Allah Himself from all forms of distortions.
The Quran is the only revealed book in the world today that has been preserved in its pure original form. There is no other instance of any revealed book, of whatever description, which has been preserved over such a length of time. The text of the Quran will remain as it was revealed until the end of time. It is protected by Allah Himself.
Allah says in the Quran,
“Indeed, it is We who sent down the Qur’an and indeed, We will be its guardian.”
Almighty Allah also says about it,
“Indeed, those who disbelieve in the message after it has come to them… And indeed, it is a mighty Book. Falsehood cannot approach it from before it or from behind it; [it is] a revelation from a [Lord who is] Wise and Praiseworthy.”