The major theme of this surah is the Day of Resurrection and the Judgment. Allah’s Messenger (pbuh) is reported to have said, “He who desires to see the Day of Resurrection as though he is seeing it with his own eyes should recite surot at-Takweer, surot al-lnfitaar, and surot ol-lnshiqooq.” (at-Tirmidhee) In other words, these surahs offer a graphic, accurate and a realistic view of what that dreadful day will be like!
This surah was revealed in Makkah and consists of nineteen verses. It may be divided into four parts:
- The first part (verses 1 – 5) is a graphic picture of the major upheavals in the universe and in nature on the Day of Resurrection: when the world as known to us will come to an end and the ultimate reality of the hereafter will begin.
- The second part (verses 6 – 8) reproaches mankind for turning away from Allah and not showing gratitude towards Him for the countless favours and bounties He has bestowed on them.
- The third section (verses 9 – 12) addresses those who do not believe in the Last Day and informs mankind in general that Allah the Almighty has set up angels over them who constantly watch and record their words and deeds.
- The fourth and final section (verses 13 – 19) contrasts the happiness of the righteous in Paradise with the torment of the weked in Hell-fire. The surah ends with assertion of Allah’s Absolute Command on the Day of Jugment.
In the Name of Allah, the Most Kind, the Most Merciful
- When the sky breaks apart
- And when the stars fall, scattering,
- And when the seas are erupted
- And when the [contents of] graves are scattered,
- A soul will [then] know what it has put forth and kept back.
- O mankind, what has deceived you concerning your Lord, the Generous,
- Who created you, proportioned you, and balanced you?
- In whatever form He willed has He assembled you.
- No! But you deny the Recompense.
- And indeed, [appointed] over you are keepers,
- Noble and recording;
- They know whatever you do.
- Indeed, the righteous will be in pleasure,
- And indeed, the wicked will be in Hellfire.
- They will [enter to] burn therein on the Day of Recompense,
- And never therefrom will they be absent.
- And what can make you know what is the Day of Recompense?
- Then, what can make you know what is the Day of Recompense?
- It is the Day when a soul will not possess for another soul [power to do] a thing; and the command, that Day, is [entirely] with Allah.